About Us; Our History

Lutheran services were first conducted in South Norwalk in 1874 by Rev. Heinrich Steup. The congregation was served by various missionary pastors until 1909 when the Rev. Martin Steup was installed as full time pastor. On September 17, 1911, the congregation was formally organized as St. Peter's German Evangelical Lutheran Church.

Land was purchased on Cedar Street the following year and dedication ceremonies for the new church building took place in 1913.

Following Pastor Steup's acceptance of a call, Pastor Wenzel was installed in July, 1922 and in September conducted the first English service.

In 1948, St. Peter's became a full-fledged member of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. It was also at this time when the State of Connecticut informed the congregation that the Connecticut Turnpike would absorb the entire church property. The final service at the Cedar Street church was conducted on Easter Sunday, 1956.

The cornerstone of our present church was laid on May 6,1956 with Dr. Oswald Hoffman, International Lutheran Hour speaker, giving the address. The congregation bid farewell to Pastor Wenzel after 37 years of service to St. Peter, and installed Rev. John Gall in 1959.

St. Peter's first assisting pastor, Rev. Edward Merkel, was installed on January 13, 1963. Two years later, the second parsonage was purchased and the undercroft was renovated for classroom use. Pastor Gall's acceptance of a call to Massachusetts in 1966 was followed by a five month vacancy, and the installation of Rev. Oscar Milke. St. Peter bid Assistant Pastor Merkel a loving farewell as he retired from the pastoral ministry in 1974.

The congregation welcomed the ministry of its first Vicar, Gerry Mohr, in 1976. Pastor Milke retired in September 1978 preceding the installation of Pastor David Mulder in December. In April, 1981 Pastor Mulder accepted a call to Bristol, Connecticut and was later elected to serve as the President of the New England District of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.

Following the congregation's longest vacancy, Rev. Danny Tutwiler was installed in July, 1982. Under his guidance, the congregation engaged the ministry of five vicars; Mark Shudde, David Reimnitz, Michael Miller, Kenneth Krippner, and Larry Nichols. St. Peter celebrated its 75th anniversary in 1986, before saying goodbye to Pastor Tutwiler who accepted a call to Illinois in November 1987.

God once again blessed St. Peter as Rev. John W. Fiene was installed on August 21, 1988. Pastor Fiene served St. Peter for five years. He accepted a call to serve as a mission pastor to Zionsville, Indiana, in October 1993.

Following a ten month vacancy in which services were conducted by Charles Petit, St. Peter was again blessed with Rev. Robert D. Beinke. Pastor Beinke was installed on August 28, 1994. The vicarage program was resumed and to date the congregation has engaged the ministry of Vicars: John Reynolds, Scott Simpson, Ralph Tausz, Mark Stirdivant, Jim Rice, Chris Seifferlein, Gifford Grobien, John Melms and David Emmons.